Whether you want to add length, volume, or simply switch up your style for a new season, hair extensions are a great option! They make a ton of our clients happy with their flexibility, awesome volume, and flawless length – but anytime you make an investment in your hair, it’s important to know what to expect! Without the right care, you might end up with matted, dull strands and even shorten the life expectancy of the extensions.
First, it’s important to know that not all hair extensions are created equal! Here at Wild Honey Salon, we specialize in Hand-Tied and Tape-In Hair Extension Services in San Diego. Tape-ins are placed on thin tape wefts and sandwiched between your real hair, while hand-tied are sewn into your hair for added volume and length. The number of rows and wefts used depends on the client’s hair density, length, and overall desired end result.
How Long Do Hair Extensions Last?
The lifespan of hair extensions can range anywhere between 3 to 6 months to a year or longer, depending on how well you care for them.
Typically, the more you wash and heat style your extensions, the shorter their lifespan will be. The important thing to remember is that your hair extensions don’t have a natural hydration source like your own hair does, so keeping them moisturized and reducing dryness is crucial to prolonging their lifespan.
Are Hair Extensions Hard to Take Care Of?
We like to think of hair extensions as an investment – the more committed you are, the better results you’ll see! Hair extensions do take work, and definitely require a good amount of care and maintenance.
Hair Extension Care Tips
- Do not shampoo, wet, or exercise to the point of perspiration for 48 hours after hair extension application — as the bonds need adequate time to cure.
- Leave a little extra time for styling until you are accustomed to working with your extra volume and/or length
- Apply conditioner to mid-shaft, or low ponytail down. Keep the conditioner or other moisture products off your rows or tapes.
- Thoroughly dry wefts. Allow for extra drying time as the wefted rows are dense and can hold moisture
- Brush, brush, brush! Brushing your hair is important. This will allow you to prevent & rid your hair of tangles while keeping your hair looking and feeling beautiful.
- Sleeping with a silk pillowcase not only feels great, but prevents your hair from tangling while sleeping. Use pony tails or a high pony with a scrunchie to secure hair when you sleep.
- Chlorine or the ocean is not hair-friendly. If entering the pool or ocean, apply leave in conditioner mid-shaft to ends and put it in a ponytail. NO Braids while swimming.
- Stay away from sunscreen containing avobenzone and octocrylene. The ingredients turn hair orange.
Have questions about hair extensions or want to book a hair extension consultation at our San Diego salon? Contact us today!